Author Topic: Rubbing strip?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline stu#71

• Website Member
Rubbing strip?
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:16 AM »
Hi all,

Im wondering if anyone knows where I can source new rubbing strip for around a fibre glass boat.  You know, the rubber strip stuff, as I want to renew.

Google is giving me some very interesting sites when I google " rubbing" & "strip" !  jaw

Thanks

Offline JetBytes

• Website Member
Re: Rubbing strip?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
Hamilton Jet in Ch-Ch, very well priced too ;D

Offline stu#71

• Website Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:23:29 AM »
Cheers JetBytes. I will get in touch with them in the new yr. 

The current one is black with a separate white strip that pushes inside it to cover the fixing screws.  I could re-use but it's not cleaning up too well.

Offline JetBytes

• Website Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
Different to the one I got for my J33 which is a single piece "stretch fit" bonded with sealer. I can't say whether or not they have the one you are after but for the stuff I got it was half the price of Para Rubber so still worth asking.

Offline stu#71

• Website Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:22:31 AM »
yep understand what you mean by "stretch fit".

This one here has been screwed on using self tappers all around the hull.  If I can avoid putting 40 or so little holes in the boat I think that may be a good thing!  Do you have any thoughts on the best "glue" to use pls?

Offline Mark Powell

• Website Member
  • Old sprinter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »
The white one with the insert is a Belting Rubber , available from Harken Fosters Ltd in Auckland. The insert bead can be Black / Red / or Blue
and has to be fastened on o flat surface.The  Hamilton one slips over the joining lip between deck and hull. Best way to fasten this is warm it up in the oven ,gun no more nails in the groove and stretch around the boat as tight as you can /tensioning with ratchet strap at one end after fastening other end first, cut and fasten last end.As the rubber cools down it will shrink and tighten
Only blame yourself.

Offline stu#71

• Website Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 21:29:56 PM »
Awesome.
Thanks, Mark.  Appreciated.  Mine is flat so will go the Belting Rubber route. Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 21:31:58 PM by stu#71 »